Ranks and Rewards Mobile App DevelopmentAugust 5, 2020
Community Panel & Survey Web App DevelopmentAugust 9, 2020
Best Content Management System (CMS) Platforms for 2020
Quality content is the backbone of every company's marketing strategy. In today's digital world, your website is your primary source of content and it can make all the difference in improving site traffic, boosting customer engagement, and reaching target sales and profits. Fortunately, there are now plenty of content management system (CMS) platforms that can create great websites.
What is a Content Management System (CMS)?
A content management system (CMS) is a software that takes care of a website’s backend coding so that the user can solely focus on creating and managing digital content. Some of the best content management system (CMS) platforms were originally intended for blogging, but later on, evolved to customizable websites.
Kinds of CMS Platforms
There are three broad kinds of CMS platforms and it is important to understand their distinctions so that you can choose the right one for your business.
- Open Source CMS can be easily modified and customized based on a business’s specific goals. It is free to download, easy to use, flexible, and updated by a team of developers.
- Proprietary CMS is commonly developed and managed by one company and charges a licensing fee. It may include exclusive access to a customer service that can assist in setup and troubleshooting.
- Software as a Service (SaaS) CMS is based on a subscription model and contains virtual solutions hosted in the cloud. A supplier typically provides its web content management software, web hosting, and technical support.
Why Invest in CMS for your Business?
Investing in a CMS platform is a strategic and cost-efficient move for your company.
In Singapore, 50% of companies use CMS to optimize their business activities.
CMS platforms offer numerous features that can help enhance your online brand and presence. One effective strategy is consistently adding content to your website in the form of blog posts. Most CMS platforms populate blog templates that can produce SEO-friendly posts. Search engine optimization (SEO) is key in building traffic to your website.
Aside from adding content, CMS platforms let you update and modify existing information. This is crucial in leaving a great first impression on website visitors. An attractive, informative, and interactive website sends a clear message to customers that you continuously innovate your business for their benefit.
What Features to Look for in a CMS?
Now that you know what a CMS is and how it can improve and grow your business, it is time to look at some of its features. The best CMS platforms offer:
- Security – Companies need to watch out for cyberattacks that can steal data and affect business operations. Look for a CMS that has primary security features, such as two-factor authentication and protection from DDoS attacks.
- Quality mobile interface – According to a 2019 digital marketing statistics report, over 80% of Singapore's population use smartphones, giving the country one of the highest penetration rates in the world. Reliable CMS platforms have a responsive design and can adapt a website to any device. Make sure your CMS tailor-fits viewing experience to the capabilities and limitations of any device.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – Choose a CMS platform that has top-notch SEO features so that you can create fresh content that can attract more visitors to your website.
- User-friendliness – In terms of usability, a CMS platform needs to have the updated tools and customization and integration capabilities that can improve your website. Easy-to-use interface, data portability, and multilingual functions are also crucial, especially if you cater to an international audience.
- Reliable customer support – An effective CMS platform has customer support that can readily address your concerns. Don’t forget to look for user reviews that will give you an idea of how the CMS handles queries and maintains customer satisfaction.
Most Popular CMS to Consider
There are many CMS platforms out there and each has its own unique features. Here are some of them:
- WordPress – WordPress makes up about 36% of all websites on the internet. It's a popular CMS for businesses and for a good reason - it's free, user-friendly, customizable, and has thousands of themes and plugins to choose from. It also has a quality content management feature.
- Joomla – Even though it's not beginner-friendly like WordPress, Joomla is still a popular CMS choice because of its built-in features, advanced user and content management, and custom post types. It also supports more than 60 languages.
- Drupal – Its quality security features and fast-loading web pages make Drupal a top CMS pick for market segment websites. It has flexible custom post creation and management systems, advanced user management and permission settings, and supports over 70 languages.
- Magento – Magento focuses more on e-Commerce and is popular among large companies because of its speed, security, and scalability. It offers multisite support that is ideal for businesses that need distinct sections on their website.
- Squarespace – Some of its main features include ready-to-use solutions for creating websites, social media integration, and a wide range of templates that are industry-specific.
You can also check out these other CMS:
- Umbraco – This open-source CMS is built on .NET technology and is ideal for enterprise-level websites of multinational companies. Its site integration allows you to feed content from other digital platforms.
- TYPO3 – TYPO3’s scalability, multilingual function, and efficient sharing of data and tools are perfect for those who run intranet sites. It is also ideal for large, international organizations.
- Shopify – Shopify is considered a one-stop-shop CMS for e-Commerce businesses. It provides professional-looking, mobile-friendly themes and access to a full-featured content management system.
- Wix – Wix has a wide range of templates, a systematic wizard plus hosting solution, and a social media integration that includes blogging features.
- Ghost – If you're looking for clean writing experience, then Ghost may be the CMS for you! It has a user-focused and minimal interface where you can upload your own themes and content. It is ideal for publishing a blog or for managing a small online publication.
The Best CMS for Your Company's Needs
The truth is that there is no cookie-cutter mold of what a perfect CMS platform is as companies have different objectives, audiences, products, and services. Before choosing the best CMS platform for your business, it is important to brainstorm with your team to ensure that all the basic requirements of your marketing strategy are covered. Seeking the help of a website design company is also recommended so that you can fully maximize the potential of your digital content.
Finally, you may refer to this checklist to help you choose a CMS platform:
- Determine your business objectives and know your audience – Create a roadmap of the things you want to achieve with your website and gather profiles of your target audience.
- Compare CMS platforms’ functions and usability – Now that you know your objectives and audience, it is time to compare the features of different CMS platforms. This step will give you a clear idea on which CMS platform can provide the right tools for your website.
- How much will it cost? After comparing the features of various CMS platforms, set a cost that is within your company’s budget. Make sure that the CMS platform you choose will give the right value for your money.